Last week the next generation of minds in the world of blockchain & IoT technologies came together at ETH Zurich to attend the 2nd BIOTS. The week was jam-packed with hands-on coding classes, theoretical talks, a party, a hackathon, and, of course, lots of coffee (as well as tasty iced tea from Vivitz and organic juice from our sponsor Biotta, thanks guys). The only downside to what was otherwise an inspiring week was that only 11% of the participants were women. Ladies, join the block chain revolution! We hope more women register next year.
More than 180 students competed in the 48-hour hackathon, during which 26 teams came up with solutions for 6 challenges in the categories energy, sustainability, transparent supply chains, recycling, social collaboration & digital democracy, and online security. You can take a look at all of the presentations here.
The winners were:
- Project-LESS (GitHub), Everywhere Energy Challenge from ewz
- M&A Transformers (GitHub), Blockchain in Energy M&A Challenge from ewz
- Energy Online (GitHub), Virtual Energy Storage Challenge from ewz
- BlackBoxes (GitHub), Tracking & Alerting Challenge from UBS
- bEquality (GitHub), Gender Equality Challenge from UBS
- Mobchain (GitHub), Token Creator Challenge from FuturICT 2.0
- symBIOTic (GitHub), Token Obtainer Challenge from FuturICT 2.0
- HugsForBugs / Democracy 2.0 (GitHub), Open Challenge
We were so impressed by the innovative ideas that these and other teams presented for these extremely important problems we’re facing. Congratulations to all of the winners! And congratulations to all of the nearly 200 students who made the week so enjoyable and inspiring.
BIOTS 2018 was co-organized by Validity Labs and the Chair for Computational Social Sciences at the ETH Zurich (COSS). The goals of BIOTS are to educate students about innovative technologies in order to solve pressing problems in the fields of sustainability and transparency.
Project data bank: https://github.com/ethbiots2018
More pictures from the week: https://polybox.ethz.ch/index.php/s/5KJscsW2CTUTioF